In Minecraft, while polar bears found in ice biomes can be tamed, the process isn’t as straightforward as domesticating other animals.
What do Polar Bears Eat in Minecraft
To tame a polar bear, players require a substantial number of fish. To acquire fish in Minecraft, a fishing rod is essential. Several methods exist to obtain one:
- Constructing fishing rods on a crafting table using three sticks and a pair of strings.
- Exploring fortresses.
- Borrowing from village inhabitants.
- Occasionally, fishing rods emerge when fishing in water.
- Various chests scattered throughout the terrain.
- Enchanted versions of fishing rods are discoverable in submerged relics. These relics can be navigated by concocting some Minecraft Water Breathing Potions.
In Minecraft, enchanting a fishing rod reduces the fishing time by five seconds for each enchantment. It’s advisable for players to engage in fishing when the weather is favorable, particularly in waters that bask under the direct glow of the sun or moon.
If the fishing rod’s bobber isn’t bathed in direct sunlight or moonlight, the duration between catches approximately doubles, with rain further decelerating the process. For maximum fish hauls in minimal time, players are recommended to utilize an enchanted rod and fish under clear skies during daylight.
Polar bears are particularly fond of salmon, a fish that’s widely available in various locations. Apart from polar bears, salmon, and other fish varieties are effective in domesticating cats and enticing dolphins to guide players to unique underwater sites. If players prefer an alternative to the fishing process, they have the option to obtain raw salmon by hunting polar bears and subsequently use it for taming the remaining ones.
How to Tame Polar Bears in Minecraft
For every polar bear a player aims to tame, a substantial number of fish is needed. Offer the fish to the polar bear and continue feeding it until affectionate heart symbols emerge overhead. It demands a generous quantity of fish to achieve this with each bear, so having an ample supply is crucial. When the heart symbols are visible, the bear becomes domesticated. Players can then harness the tamed polar bears for protection, assault, or even as mounts. In terms of utility, polar bears rank among Minecraft’s top creatures to domesticate.
Additional Details on Minecraft’s Polar Bears
- Protection of Cubs: Polar bears turn aggressive when their cubs are nearby, but are generally passive otherwise. They’ll retaliate if their cub is threatened, especially if it isn’t taken down immediately.
- Defense Mechanism: Adult polar bears are protective of their kin. If one bear is threatened, nearby adults will come to its defense, even if no cubs are present.
- Behavior in Different Editions: In the Java Edition, both adult bears and cubs are hostile to foxes. However, in the Bedrock Edition, only the adults exhibit this behavior while cubs remain neutral.
- Drops Upon Defeat: When taken down by a player or a tamed wolf, adult polar bears can drop between 1 and 3 experience points, and occasionally raw cod or raw salmon.
- Consider Fishing: While polar bears can provide the necessary fish for taming, directly fishing is often more effective. Moreover, they are better companions than they are sources of loot.
- Reproduction Limitations: Unlike other Minecraft creatures, polar bears cannot breed, and players can’t speed up a cub’s growth.
- Health Points: Adult polar bears boast around 30 health points.
- Potential Threat: Players should be wary around polar bears due to their capacity to inflict damage. Depending on the game’s difficulty, an unprotected player can receive up to eight damage points from an adult bear.