Unfortunately, Payday 2 does not offer true cross-platform play. This means that PC players cannot play with players on consoles (PlayStation, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch), and vice versa.
Table of Contents
While this may be disappointing for some, there is still good news for those hoping to team up with friends. Payday 2 does support limited cross-platform play between generations within the same console family. This means:
- PlayStation players: PS5 users can play with PS4 players and vice versa.
- Xbox players: Xbox Series X/S players can join Xbox One players and vice versa.
This feature is enabled through the game’s “Friends Pass” system, which allows one player to join another’s game for free, even if they don’t own the full game themselves.
Payday 2’s cross-platform capabilities
|Platform||Can Play With||Friend’s Pass Required|
|PlayStation 5||PlayStation 4||Yes|
|PlayStation 4||PlayStation 5||Yes|
|Xbox Series X/S||Xbox One||Yes|
|Xbox One||Xbox Series X/S||Yes|
|PC||Any other platform||No|
|Nintendo Switch||Any other platform||No|
It’s important to note that the Friend’s Pass only allows for online co-op play. Local co-op is not supported across different console generations.
Will Payday 2 ever be cross-platform?
There is no official word on whether Payday 2 will ever be cross-platform. However, it is unlikely to happen in the near future.
Here are some resources that you may find helpful:
- Official Payday 2 website: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaQhlIo2L4E
- Payday 2 Wiki: https://payday.fandom.com/wiki/PAYDAY_2
- How to use the Friend’s Pass: https://www.ea.com/en-au/games/it-takes-two/news/how-to-get-friends-pass-on-playstation
While the lack of full cross-platform support might be a drawback for some, Payday 2 still offers a thrilling and engaging co-op experience for players on the same platform or console generation.