Last Updated on July 11, 2022 by Yildirim Sertbas
In this article, we have explained in detail how you can connect and use your Xbox controller to your PlayStation 4.
Whether it’s “Uncharted” or “God of War”: Your favorite games are only available for Sony’s PlayStation 4. But you prefer the controller from Microsoft’s competing game console Xbox One to Sony’s DualShock gamepad. You’ll find the controls more precise and feel better in your hand.
That’s not a problem; you can connect Xbox controllers to the PlayStation. Gamevcore shows you how to do this and what additional hardware you need.
Which Xbox controller is compatible with the PlayStation 4?
You cannot default connect an Xbox controller to the PlayStation 4 (PS4). Microsoft and Sony devices are not compatible with each other. It still works with the help of additional hardware: the CronusMAX PLUS adapter converts the signal from the Xbox controller – and fools the PS4 into thinking it is a Sony gamepad.
You don’t need a unique Xbox controller for this to work. You can use any gamepad compatible with Xbox One, One S and One X, or Xbox 360. You also don’t need the Sony gaming console Pro version, which a standard PlayStation 4 will do.
Tip: With the adapter, you can not only connect an Xbox controller to the PS4 – this also works with other controllers and consoles. You can use the gamepads of many gaming consoles with competing models – for example connecting a Wii U controller to an Xbox One.
Connect Xbox controller to PS4: With an Adapter
Once you have the CronusMAX PLUS adapter, you can connect your Xbox controller to the PS4. To do this, first set up the adapter on the computer and then connect it to the Xbox controller and console. To do this, follow the steps below.
Step 1: Configure the adapter on the computer
The adapter is set up on the computer. How to do it:
- Start your computer and open a browser. Download the free Cronus Pro software from the adapter manufacturer’s website.
- Double click on the downloaded Setup.exe file and install it. First, confirm with Yes that the program is allowed to make changes on your computer.
- In the next window, click Next and Install. Finally, go to Finish.
- Connect the adapter to the PC using the supplied cable. To do this, plug the micro USB plug into the adapter and the larger USB plug into a USB port on the computer. Note: This works best over a USB 2.0 port or lower; sometimes, the adapter does not recognize USB 3.0 ports.
- Find the “Cronus PRO” icon on the desktop and double-click on it to open the program.
- Check if the program is using the latest firmware. To do this, click on Tools in the menu and then on Cronus PRO Update. If there is a newer version, the program will prompt you to install it.
Step 2 (Method 1): Connect the controller to the console via a USB hub
There are two ways you can connect the Xbox controller to PS4 via an adapter. The first method: You use a USB hub. The device is similar to a power strip, except that it has multiple USB ports. It turns one USB port into several.
Important: This method also requires a PlayStation 4 controller.
Once you have everything together, proceed as follows:
- Open the “Cronus PRO” program on your computer and ensure the adapter is plugged into the PC’s USB port.
- Click Tools in the menu bar and then click Options in the flyout menu. In the new window, select the Device tab.
- Make sure that under Output Protocol, it says Automatic.
- Open the CMax Plus Tab and make sure that Enable PS4 Partial crossover support is unchecked.
- Unplug the adapter from the computer’s USB port and set it aside.
- Pick up your USB hub. Connect the PlayStation DualShock 4 controller to port one and the Xbox controller to port 4.
- Plug the hub’s USB connector into the port on the CronusMAX Plus adapter labeled Input.
- Connect the adapter’s connector labeled Output to one of the PlayStation 4’s USB ports.
- The adapter’s display shows the flashing letters A and U alternately. Once a 0 appears on the small screen, you can use the Xbox controller to play on the PS4.
The downside of the USB hub method is that you need a PlayStation controller that you can’t use for anything else during the game.
Step 2 (Method 2): Connect the controller without a USB hub
You can connect the Xbox controller to the PlayStation 4 without a hub. Then you don’t need an additional PlayStation controller. Here’s how you do it:
- Open the “Cronus PRO” program on your computer.
- Connect the adapter to a USB port on the computer.
- On the program’s menu bar, click Tools and then click Options.
- In the next window, go to the Device tab. From there, choose PS4 for Output Protocol.
- Go to the CMax Plus Tab and check Enable PS4 Partial crossover support.
- Unplug the adapter from the computer.
- Plug the side that says Output into a USB port on the PlayStation 4.
- Connect the Xbox gamepad to the adapter’s input port using a micro-USB cable.
- The letters A and U flash alternately on display before the number 0 appears. Now you can play on PS4 with an Xbox controller.
The disadvantage of the method without a USB hub is a brief interruption every ten minutes because the controller has to reconnect. The connection is more stable via a USB hub.
An Xbox controller also fits the PlayStation 4 using an adapter
Every game console comes with its gamepads: there are DualShock 4 controllers for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox controllers for the Xbox One. You can also use Xbox gamepads with a PS4 using the CronusMAX PLUS adapter. To do this, you set up the hardware once using computer software.
You then have two options for connecting the Xbox gamepad to the PS4 via the adapter: via a USB hub or directly. With both methods, you fool the Sony game console into believing that the Xbox gamepad is a DualShock 4 controller – and you can start playing with it straight away.
Frequently Asked Questions
The DualShock 4 controller for the PlayStation 4 brings a few features that the Xbox One model doesn’t have, most notably a touchpad. In some games, you can perform actions or view options by pressing or swiping the pad. You won’t find these functions on the Xbox One controller.
However, some games are compatible with the large X button. It can serve as a touchpad replacement – whether that works depends on the game.
No, you can only use it with an adapter.