Do you lack a gaming headset? Here’s how to use Xbox One with your AirPods.
AirPods, like most true wireless earbuds, use Bluetooth to connect to any device. As a result, it’s natural to assume they’ll work well with the Xbox One.
Apple created the AirPods, a pair of truly wireless Bluetooth earbuds. They were initially introduced alongside the iPhone 7 on September 7, 2016. They were Apple’s best-selling add-on within two years.
However, you cannot connect AirPods directly to the Xbox One because the console does not natively support Bluetooth audio. Instead, it employs its proprietary wireless technology known as Xbox Wireless.
So, while you can connect AirPods to Xbox One, you’ll have to use some third-party software or devices. Continue reading as we go over all of the methods you can try!
How To Use Xbox One With Your AirPods
You can pair your AirPods with your Xbox One in 3 ways. I have explained all my ways in detail, step by step.
How to Use the Xbox App to Connect AirPods to an Xbox One
Because Xbox does not support Bluetooth audio, you cannot directly connect your AirPods to your Xbox One. You can, however, connect them using the Xbox mobile app.
The Xbox Companion app initially aimed to stream gameplay to mobile devices. This means you can use it to stream Xbox audio to your device and then to your AirPods, effectively acting as an audio passthrough.
Unfortunately, you cannot use the AirPods’ microphone while streaming audio through the Xbox App.
Note: The Xbox app is available in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. It works with the Xbox One, Series S, and Series X.
Here’s how to use the Xbox Companion app to connect AirPods to your Xbox One:
1. First, you must allow your Xbox to connect with the companion app. To do this, press the Xbox button on your Xbox One to open the main menu.
2. Select Settings from the Profile & System tab.
3. Select Remote features under Devices & Connections, then check the box next to Enable remote features. You can now connect your Xbox to outside gadgets.
4. Ensure your audio is streaming to your AirPods while connected to your phone or tablet.
5. Use the same Microsoft account you use for your Xbox One to launch the Xbox Companion App on your phone or tablet.
6. Next to the notification icon, tap the remote play icon in the top right corner. With lines coming from it, it resembles an Xbox. Select this device’s Remote Play option.
Note: Before streaming gameplay audio, you must set up your console if this is your first time using the Xbox app. You’ll be returned to the Xbox app’s home screen if you follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
7. Play some games on your Xbox. The audio should then play through your device and your AirPods as the gameplay streams to your device.
How to Connect AirPods to Xbox One via Bluetooth Adapter
Alternatively, you can use a Bluetooth adapter to link your AirPods to your Xbox One. This dongle allows you to add Bluetooth to your Xbox controller to use with your AirPods.
You can avoid audio delays by not streaming through your phone and instead using this method. However, because the adapter must be attached to the underside of the controller, using it can be awkward.
A Bluetooth adapter is sold separately from the Xbox and is not included.
If you must buy an adapter, ensure you get the right one. A USB adapter is unsuitable; a 3.5mm audio jack adapter is required. The AudioBox from Skull & Co. is a great choice.
Note: Most Xbox One Bluetooth adapters are made to pair the controller with a computer, not to transmit audio to wireless headphones. To avoid buying an adapter like this, read the full product description and reviews before purchasing.
Follow these steps to pair your AirPods with your Xbox One via Bluetooth:
1. Power up the Bluetooth receiver.
2. Connect the 3.5mm plug to the Xbox controller’s audio jack.
3. Open the lid of the AirPods case and insert the headphones.
4. You can get the case to flash white by pressing and holding the Setup button on the back of the device. AirPods are currently in pairing mode.
5. Hold your AirPods close to the adapter’s controller and press the pairing button to connect them.
6. The white light will turn green when your AirPods case is connected correctly.
7. Your AirPods can now receive game audio via wireless streaming.
Note: Voice chat can be used with adapters like the one described above. However, this feature is not present in all adapters. Read the product description carefully to talk to your friends while gaming.
Using AirPods for Xbox Party Chat
Many people use the built-in microphone on AirPods for audio calls. This begs the question: can the AirPod mic be used for Xbox party chat?
Yes, but only if you’re not using the AirPods for game audio.
Here’s how to use your AirPods as a microphone for party chat:
1. Ascertain that your AirPods are connected to your mobile device and that your microphone is operational.
2. Make sure you’re signed in with the same account you use on your Xbox by opening the Xbox app on your device.
3. Select Let’s Play.
4. Select the Create a Party option from the menu bar. Next to the Friends icon is this group of three people silhouette.
5. Choose to Start a Party.
Note: If this is your first time using the microphone on your AirPods with the Xbox app, you may be prompted to grant permission. Before we can proceed, we need you to enable the microphone.
6. Click Party Controls.
7. Select a different audio device.
8. You can select your AirPods from the list here.
Why Can’t AirPods Be Directly Connected to an Xbox One?
Because the Xbox One uses the Xbox Wireless proprietary wireless protocol rather than Bluetooth, you cannot directly connect your AirPods to the console.
With less latency and better sound quality than Bluetooth, this wireless protocol operates at a higher frequency. However, as a result, Bluetooth devices cannot be used with the Xbox.
As a result, Microsoft has released several gaming headsets that work with Xbox Wireless.
The best way to get the most out of your Xbox One, Series S, or Series X console is to use the company’s official wireless gaming headsets.
However, that isn’t always the best option and is not always feasible. But now that you know about these other methods, you can save money and still use your AirPods with your Xbox One.
Which of these approaches did you find most helpful, if any? Or did you find a different way to make Xbox work with your AirPods? Leave a comment and let us know.