Many devoted PC gamers regularly mod their favorite games, and Baldur’s Gate 3 is no exception. In addition to enhancing your gameplay, mods can occasionally improve the graphics or remove bothersome elements according to your preferences.
Since the release of its early access version in 2020, Baldur’s Gate 3 has supported modding. While many of those mods became incompatible with the game after the official 1.0 launch, modders are gradually making them compatible once more.
This article has described how you can modify Baldur’s Gate 3 to enhance an already enjoyable experience.
Thankfully, Larian Studios has stated in an official post that players are permitted to modify Baldur’s Gate 3 and add mods. They support it and intend to soon release official mod tools. They are not presently accessible at launch. But that hasn’t stopped modders from providing players with some of the best Baldur’s Gate 3 mods right now.
Please keep in mind that if you play with mods enabled, your Steam achievements will be disabled. So, if you enjoy achievement hunting, we advise against adding or removing mods. Additionally, we advise backing up your game files in case something goes wrong during installation, and you need to restore your progress.
How to install mod for Baldur’s Gate 3
Here is our step-by-step guide on how to install mods for Baldur’s Gate 3.
Make a backup of your game files before modding
- Make sure the game is updated to the most recent version first. Right-click Baldur’s Gate 3 and select properties to do that.
- To check the game version, click “Updates” here. Baldur’s Gate last received an update on August 12, 2023, as of the time this article was written.
- Do a backup of the game’s original files now. Right-click Baldur’s Gate 3, select Manage, and then select “Browse Local Files” to accomplish this. Select everything in this area, then copy it to a different location.
- Finally, be sure to create a unique save file without the mods. Do this before installing the Baldur’s Gate 3 mods.
Install Baldur’s Gate 3 Mods Using Vortex
Now that the fundamentals have been covered, the safest way to modify and arrange the game files in BG3 is using the Vortex mod manager. Here’s how to set up and utilize Vortex:
- Download Vortex from the Nexus Mod website now. The software automatically recognizes the game that is installed on the system, making it a one-stop shop for quickly changing your game files. Before beginning the installation, be sure to create a Nexus Mod account.
- Install and run Vortex on your computer. The launcher will ask you to search for the game the first time you launch it. Search for and install Baldur’s Gate 3 and select Manage.
- Thereafter, Vortex will ask you if you want to install the Divine tool. Thanks to this third-party mod tool, you can change Baldur’s Gate 3. After clicking Download, complete the installation.
- Once there, access the Baldur’s Gate 3 mod you would like to install by returning to the Nexus Mods website.
- The browser will ask you to launch the Vortex mod manager when you install any mods directly from Nexus Mods. To install the mods, click “Open Link” and follow the instructions. Please make sure to adhere to the directions listed on the mod page.
Utilize the BG3 Mod Manager to install mods
The LaughingLeader-created Baldur’s Gate 3 Mod Manager offers a straightforward method for modding the game and setting the mod load order.
Additionally, it makes installing and using mods in-game a simple process for users. Follow these steps to use the process:
- Go to the BG3 Mod Manager’s official GitHub page first. Download the file by clicking the link for the most recent release at the bottom.
- Run the mod manager after extracting the zip file. The BG3 mod manager will automatically identify your game data and mod folder path. If not, use Ctrl + P to open the preference and tell the mod manager where to look for the folder.
- You must then manually download a mod file from Nexus Mod Manager after finishing. We used Dice Set Expansion and ImprovedUI to create this guide.
- Copy the.pkg file to the folder found at the following pathway after extracting the mod files:
C:Users<username>AppDataLocalLarian StudiosBaldur's Gate 3Mods
- The mod will then appear after you click “Refresh” in the BG3 mod manager.
- By default, the mod will be on the inactive side. To activate it, simply drag and drop it onto the left pane. The number beside the mod files determines the mod’s load order. The higher the priority, the higher the load order.
- By pressing Ctrl + S, you can save the load order and then launch the game directly from the mod manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + G.
Stepping into the enchanting world of Baldur’s Gate 3 with modifications can truly elevate your gaming experience. Let’s quickly wrap up what we’ve delved into:
- The Modding Landscape: Baldur’s Gate 3, since its early access in 2020, has warmly embraced the modding community.
- Developer Support: Larian Studios not only permits but encourages modding. Look forward to official modding tools in the near future.
- A Word of Caution: Activating mods disables Steam achievements. It’s always essential to weigh the thrill of modding against your love for achievement hunting.
- Safety First:
- Ensure you’re on the latest game version.
- Always back up your original game files.
- Make a separate save file before diving into mod installation.
- Using Vortex for Mods: An intuitive tool that makes modding a breeze. From downloading it from the Nexus Mod site to setting it up, Vortex simplifies the modding process.
- BG3 Mod Manager: A user-friendly platform by LaughingLeader that automates and eases the mod installation process. Ensure you follow the specified path and adjust the mod’s load order as needed.
Parting Thoughts: Modding can significantly enrich your in-game experience, but always tread with caution. Safety measures like backups ensure that your game remains intact, even if a mod doesn’t pan out as expected. Now, with this knowledge, dive into Baldur’s Gate 3 and craft an adventure that’s uniquely yours! Happy modding!