How Can I Add An Additional Controller To An Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S?
Here is how to connect the controller to Xbox One, Xbox Series X and Series S. This guide will help you to learn how to add an additional controller to your Xbox One, Series X and Series S.
You’re finally holding your new Xbox controller in your hands. The console is waiting next to your TV to give you incomparable gaming pleasure. But before you can start playing, you have to connect the controller to the Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S. We explain to you how this works.
Maybe you just got your Xbox console. Or you bought an additional controller to gamble with your friends. Some Xbox controllers are battery-powered, while other models are battery-powered. Now all you have to do is connect your controller to the Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S. Our step-by-step instructions will help you here:
Connect the controller to Xbox One: Here’s how it works with and without a cable
To wirelessly connect the controller to the Xbox One:
- Turn on the console.
- Insert the batteries into the controller. Press the Xbox button to turn on the gamepad.
- Press the pair button on the Xbox One. It is located at the front right below the power button (Xbox One X or S) or to the side next to the disc tray (original Xbox One). You can recognize the pairing button by three curved lines.
- Within the next 20 seconds you must now press the connection button on the controller, which also has three curved lines. After you press it, the Xbox button will flash – the controller is now looking for the console. Once the button is solid, the controller is connected to the Xbox One.
Alternatively, you can connect a controller to your Xbox One via a USB cable: depending on the type of gamepad, you use a micro-USB or USB-C cable. Plug one end of the cable into the controller and the other end into the console.
Connect the controller to the Xbox Series X|S: This is how it works with and without a cable
How to wirelessly connect a controller to your Xbox Series X|S:
- Turn on the console.
- Insert the batteries into the Xbox controller. Press the Xbox button to turn on the gamepad.
- The Xbox button should now start blinking.
- The console has a pair button (three curved lines) on the front right (Xbox Series X) or front left (Xbox Series S) that you have to press.
- You must then also press the pairing button on the controller within the next 20 seconds. You can also recognize them by the three curved lines. Hold the button down until the Xbox button on the controller blinks a few times. He is now looking for the console. If the button is solid, the controller is successfully connected to the Xbox Series X|S.
You can also connect a controller to the Xbox Series X|S via USB cable: depending on the type of gamepad, you need a micro-USB or USB-C cable. Plug one end of the cable into the gamepad. Connect the other end to the console.
Check for a firmware update: How to update the controller
As soon as you have connected a controller to the Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S, you should check whether a firmware update is available for the gamepad. To do this, press the Xbox button on the controller and follow the path “Profile & System>Settings>Devices and Connections>Accesories“. Select the controller and see if you can update it.