Read on to learn how to change your real name on Xbox One.
It’s becoming increasingly difficult to protect your privacy when using the internet. For this reason, many people sign up for many accounts under different names. Changing your account name to anything else is a good idea if you value your privacy. Or maybe you went with a funny name, and now you’re sick of hearing, “Hi, Bananaface!” every time you log in.
Whatever your motivation, we’ve put together a guide to assist you in changing both your Gamertag and the real name connected to your Xbox account. When killing people in Call of Duty, you can track who knows what about you and what they call you.
Table of Contents
How To Change Your Real Name on Xbox Account
You’ll need to go into your Xbox account from a computer connected to the internet if you want to alter the name that appears on your profile. Here are the measures you must take to accomplish your goal:
- Turn on your computer’s web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, etc.).
- Just enter live.com into your browser’s address bar or use the link to go directly there.
- Using the Xbox account you created with Microsoft, sign in.
- To access your personal information, select the tab labeled “Your info” at the top of the current window.
- To change the name associated with your account, go to the “Edit name” link located directly under the name currently used.
- Fill out the “First Name” text box with your first name.
- Fill out the “Last Name” text box with your surname.
- You’ll see a text field labeled “Enter the characters that you see”; use this to type in the letters and numbers from the Captcha image.
- The blue Save button must be clicked.
How to Change Your Xbox Gamertag
You’ll need a new Gamertag if you want to change the name most people see when you’re online. This is your primary identifier online; if you didn’t pick one when you created your Xbox Live account, it was assigned a name like “CrunchyToast1” or something equally unremarkable.
Your Gamertag could be changed once at no cost if it was generated for you rather than chosen by you. If you chose one upon signup or have changed it in the past, you will be required to pay a fee to select a new one. If you decide to change it, your contacts will be notified automatically; however, you may want to let your friends know so they can address you by your new name.
Change Your Xbox Gamertag on a Computer
Change your Gamertag on a computer or mobile device by following these steps:
- Fire your computer or mobile device’s web browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, etc.).
- Just type xbox.com/ChangeGamertag into your browser’s address bar or use the link we’ve provided to get there directly.
- Update your Gamertag by entering it in the “Enter your new Gamertag” field.
- To see if there is availability, click or tap the green button.
- If the Gamertag is already in use, a message will appear below the input field explaining that it has been taken. In that case, please enter a new one and click the Check Availability button once more.
- A green checkmark will be in the box once you’ve found a new Gamertag that you like and can use. Select this Gamertag by clicking the green “Claim It!” button.
Change Your Xbox Gamer Tag on Xbox One
If you want to switch your Gamertag from an Xbox One, follow these instructions:
- To access the guide, press the Xbox button in the center of your controller.
- Press the A button to select your Gamerpic from the top left corner of the screen.
- Press A after selecting My profile.
- Press A after selecting Customize profile.
- Press A after selecting your current Gamertag.
- When finished, press A after entering the desired new Gamertag in the text box. You’ll need to try a different Gamertag or add some numbers to it if it’s already taken, and you’ll see a message saying, “That name isn’t available,” if it is.
- When one becomes available, press A to confirm the modification.
Change Your Xbox Gamer Tag on Xbox 360
- Open the Xbox 360 and log into the account for which you want to alter the Gamertag.
- Check out the My Xbox channel.
- Press the A button to select your gamercard from the top right of the screen.
- Press A after selecting Edit Profile.
- Click Gamertag, then hit A.
- Press A after selecting Enter New Gamertag.
- Enter your desired new Gamertag, click Done, and then press A. It will let you know if the Gamertag is already in use and advise you to try a different one.
- Select Yes, use this Gamertag and then press A once you’ve located an available Gamertag that you want to use.
Protecting your privacy online is more important than ever in today’s digital world. Whether you want to update your name to reflect a change in your personal life or wish to use a different name for gaming, changing your account name is a good idea. In this guide, we’ve walked you through the process of altering your real name and Gamertag regarding your Xbox account.
We’ve gone over all the steps you need to take to change your real name on your Xbox account, also how to change your Xbox Gamertag in multiple ways, like on a computer, Xbox One, or Xbox 360. We’ve covered all the possible ways to change your name, including step-by-step instructions for each method. With this guide, you’ll be able to change your name in no time and keep your privacy safe while playing on Xbox.