How To Connect Xbox One Controller To PC or Mac: Here’s How It Works Wirelessly!
If you want to learn about pairing Xbox One controller to a PC or Mac, you’ll find everything about how to connect Xbox One controller to a PC or Mac.
Some of your favorite games are PC exclusives, but do you actually prefer to play on Xbox One with your handy controller? Simply combine the great controls with the game on the computer and connect the Xbox One controller to the PC. Gamevcore tells you how to connect wirelessly on a Windows PC and a Mac.
Connect Xbox One controller to Windows PC
Are you a happy owner of an Xbox One and a Windows PC and want to use your controller on your computer? Congratulations, you have chosen the best combination there can be.
Because Microsoft makes the interaction of its various products with each other child’s play – whether directly or via small adapters- ensure smooth communication. Accordingly, the Xbox One controller can also be connected to the PC without significant problems. And even in several ways.
Tip: Controlling with a controller is more intuitive and therefore easier, especially for racing, jump and run, hack and slash, and shooter games. Your characters can be moved more precisely and promise even more fun while gaming.
Connection via Bluetooth
The Xbox controllers can relatively easily be paired with a Windows PC via Bluetooth. However, note the following requirements for a successful connection:
- Your PC has Windows 10 installed and also successfully ran the Anniversary Update from October 2018.
- Your controller should be up to date. To be safe, perform an update to install the latest operating system.
- You only want to connect one controller, not several that would interfere with each other’s reception.
- You only want to connect your controller and not an additional headset or chatpad that would compete for the controller’s Bluetooth connection.
If all requirements are met, connect your Xbox One controller to the PC as follows:
- First, turn on your Xbox One controller by pressing the Xbox button.
- Press and hold the connect button on the controller for at least three seconds.
- Now start your PC. Go to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices.
- Enable Bluetooth by flipping the slider. If this is then highlighted in blue, activation was successful.
- Now select Xbox Wireless Controller from the list of available Bluetooth devices and click Pair.
The controller and PC are now connected, and the games can begin.
Connection via Xbox Wireless Adapter
Sometimes the Bluetooth connection doesn’t work that well. If the technology shows its own will again and makes it impossible to connect the Xbox One controller and PC directly, the detour via the Xbox Wireless Adapter can achieve the desired result. It can be purchased separately from most electronics stores and connected to the PC or laptop via USB. It ensures a stable and secure connection. Here’s how you do it:
- Connect the Xbox Wireless Adapter to your PC or laptop. Simply plug it into a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port.
- The adapter driver will now be installed automatically. This takes about 60 seconds.
- Turn on your Xbox One controller by pressing the Xbox button.
- Then press the connect button on your controller for about three seconds.
As soon as the connection between the adapter and the controller is established, the LED signals on both devices light up constantly. Then you can start your game and start looting right away.
It also works, but not wirelessly: USB
If you don’t necessarily need a wireless connection, there is another way to connect your Xbox One controller to your PC: a USB cable. You can also use the controller’s charging cable to do this. Plug the regular USB end into the computer and the micro-USB end into the controller – and your game is ready to launch.
Connect Xbox One controller to Mac
Gaming on your Mac, and would you rather use your Xbox One controller instead of a mouse and keyboard? If the connection works without a cable, i.e., wirelessly, this is only possible with the Xbox One S controller. In addition, at least the operating system macOS X – also called El Capitan – is required to couple the console accessories with iMac or MacBook:
- Turn on your controller using the Xbox button.
- Turn on your Mac. Once it boots up, go to your top menu bar and click on the Bluetooth icon to turn the feature on.
- On your controller, press the connect button for at least three seconds.
- On your Mac, check if the controller appears under the name Xbox Wireless Controller in the list of available Bluetooth devices. To do this, simply click the Bluetooth icon again.
- Select him from the list as soon as the LED lights on the controller light up permanently, the connection is established.
For all other controllers – i.e., those of the regular Xbox One and Xbox One X – the following applies: They need the support of a USB cable. But even this connection does not happen by itself – it also requires installing special software. Please note the following requirements before attempting a connection:
- Your Mac runs at least the El Capitan operating system. The more recent versions, High Sierra and Mojave, are also compatible accordingly.
- Your Xbox One controller is up to date.
- You have additional software, such as Xone OSX. The free tool ensures a stable connection between Xbox accessories and Mac.
Once all devices have been updated and the Xone OSX software installed, the controller and Mac can be connected in just a few simple steps:
- Start your controller by pressing and holding the Xbox button for about three seconds.
- On your Mac, navigate to the Finder (the small magnifying glass on the right side of the top menu bar) and type in Terminal.
- This will open the Terminal app – a tool you can use to issue commands to your Mac using keyboard input. Here, type in the command sudo nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1, press the Enter key and confirm the process with your administrator password.
- Restart the Mac afterward.
- Once restarted, you can simply connect your Xbox One controller with a USB cable.
The controller is then immediately ready for use and can be used for gaming on the Mac.
Console control on the PC – quick and easy to set up
Those used to gaming with a controller often find it difficult to switch to a keyboard and mouse. With an Xbox One controller, however, the dilemma is quickly solved. It can be easily connected to a Windows PC or Mac, thus ensuring the usual gaming fun.
In most cases, the pairing even works wirelessly – but a USB cable is a viable solution for any mix of connections in a pinch. So you play skillfully as always and can continue to hope for good loot.